East York Animal Clinic - Vol 1, Issue 2










Volume 1, Issue 2



Tricks to Keep Your Pets Safe on Halloween:

Chocolate is NOT a Treat!


     Unless you’ve been living under a rock, most pet owners already know that chocolate and pets just don’t mix.


     Most cases of chocolate ingestion will cause gastric upset or pancreatitis, due to fat content in the chocolate and not the chocolate itself. However, chocolate also contains theobromine, which is directly toxic to dogs and cats. Depending on the type and amount ingested, and the size of your dog or cat, they may experience a variety of symptoms from gastric upset (vomiting and diarrhea), hyperactivity, tremors, seizures, abnormal heart rhythm to death in severe cases. It may take up to 4 days for the effects of chocolate to work its way out of a dog’s system. If the chocolate has just been eaten, it may be possible to induce vomiting; otherwise, hospitalization and support may be needed until the chocolate has worked its way out of the system.  For a quick reference to determine the severity of your pet’s chocolate ingestion, click here.


     Other Halloween goodies such as gum, candies, hardballs, etc, can also be a choking hazards and cause GI upset. Sometimes it’s the candy wrappers that become lodged in their digestive tracts.



Who is Frodo? 


I hear a lot of people have been asking about me, so let me introduce myself.




I am a one year old mini Goldendoodle who lives with Chris.  She’s one of the technician’s here at the clinic, I’m sure that you have met her.


Because I am so energetic and very excited to meet everyone, my visits to the reception area are limited.  Most of the time, I spend my days helping the girls downstairs.


I hope you enjoy my thoughts with the upcoming issues!



Other Spooky Things About Halloween…

from Frodo’s Perspective 



The door being constantly opened and closed invite opportunities for a scared pet to bolt out.  Make sure he or she has an ID on at all times or better yet, keep your pets in a confined area for the night


Halloween decorations such as candles can be knocked over by a cat or a wagging tail attached to an over- excited dog


Fake fog is composed of carbon dioxide gas and may cause suffocation


Any new decoration will incur curiosity and may present a choking hazard


While some dogs may enjoy extra attention from being dressed up, many pets don’t enjoy the delights of a costume. Make sure the clothing is fit properly; too tight, it can cut off circulation, too loose, your pet can trip on it or get it caught on something. Never leave a pet unattended “in costume”


Black cats are particularly subjected to cruelty during the Halloween season, so do your best to keep them indoors if possible.


P  416.757.3569

F  416.285.7483

E eyac@holisticpetvet.com


805 O’Connor Drive

Toronto, ON

M4B 2S7









We’re celebrating over 50 years of serving you and your pets! 







If you wish to unsubscribe from our email list, please click   here .